Wednesday

Finally, A Good Day at a County Fair

Finally, A Good Day at a County Fair

After spending all day yesterday helping my sister move from the second floor of a building with no elevators to the third floor of a building with no elevators I was too sore to do anything today other than apply for five jobs online.

Until I found out how gorgeous and perfect it was outside tonight.Then it was mandatory that Josh, the Captain, and I head to the county fair, conveniently located a couple blocks away.

The Captain LOVED the fair.Every single child there loved him (and there are a LOT of children at Iowa’s many county fairs), all the adults had to comment on how cute / goofy-looking / unfamiliar he is.Then we went to the animal buildings.

That was where the real fun was.He didn’t care about the birds since they’re kept at least three feet in the air, far too high up for him to see, smell, or mess with.The bunnies were also too high for him, but the goats, cows, and sheep were at his level (on the ground), and that’s where all the fun was.

As we approached the farm animals building, we could tell that he knew there was something in there that he should recognize.We suspect he’s never actually dealt with an animal larger or more ferocious than Jerry (or for a brief time theВ Labradors he lived with at his foster home), but something in his breeding seemed to recognize animals that needed to be herded.

He leaned into his harness and pulled toward the goats and sheep.He smelled them with intense interest but didn’t charge any of them.To his credit as a fuzzy-wuzzy princess he never barked at any of them either.He just seemed to somehow know that he should know something about these things, and that he should be doing something about it.He just never seemed to be sure what that was.

Should I chase them?Smell them?Pee on their kennels to show my superiority?В 

He never seemed to know.

In all, it was a damn good day at the fair, far and away better than any of them I spent at fairs when I was paid to be there.I didn’t have to stand in mud and horse manure trying to sell an idea to people who had either already made a decision about the topic (you can’t change people’s minds, and people will only listen and be open when they’re ready, not when you decide they should be), or just wanted to be at a lazy county fair without being reminded of the serious events and issues of the day.

Funnel cake should not be accompanied by threats of doom and accusations of ignorance!

I got to walk around the fair on my own time, at my own pace, with the people I wanted to be with.I ate good food, laughed with Josh at the Captain, and learned a little more about our little dog.

If only I’d had a video camera of some sort with me.


Major Break Via in Skin color Cancer Medication - The length of time Until it Gets to Market?