Wednesday

Slow-cooker fajitas.

Slow-cooker fajitas.

We’re back online!It feels so good to have Internet again.We’re still getting settled in, & I’m having a hard time finding places to fit everything inside my tiny kitchen (I may or may not be keeping my spices in a cardboard box for the moment & some of my baking dishes in a linen closet; how ironic that our NJ kitchen was larger!), so no kitchen or craft experimentation just yet, but I do have one recipe that I photographed in our old kitchen & didn’t have time to post before we rushed down here.

When The Munchkin was tiny, she was really tiny.Nursing was a two-handed job just because she was so small, so my long list of books to read while nursing turned into countless hours of DVR’d movies & TV shows in the middle of the night.I barely left the living room sofa.My daytime lineup included several cooking shows, like Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee. This recipe is adapted from one of hers.In addition to being wonderfully easy, this is a great recipe for picky eaters who have a hard time with texture; the veggies get nice & soft in the slow cooker.

Slow-Cooker Fajitas

  • В 2 lbs.beef round steak, sliced thin (I just buy the pre-sliced stir-fry beef)
  • 2 pkts.fajita seasoning
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 green peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1/2 cup plus a splash of apple juice
  • wh*le-wheat tortillas
  • sour cream, cheese, etc., for serving

(I make a half recipe for us, so that’s why one of the peppers is missing.)

To slice your peppers without getting the seeds everywhere, use Ina Garten’s method (which I also learned from my nursing days in front of the TV): Hold your pepper with the stem up on your cutting board, then cut around the core using a large chef’s knife.Discard the core, seeds, & all, when you’re done.No mess!

  1. Add steak slices on top, seasoning those with the other packet as you go to make sure that the beef is relatively evenly coated.I don’t use the wh*le packet; it’s plenty seasoned with less.But you can choose how much to put on.
  2. Cook on low 8-10 hours.
  3. To serve, warm tortillas in the microwave, then use metal tongs or a slotted spoon to add meat & veggies.Top with sour cream, cheese,В & whatever else sounds tasty!

{ * InsideFun * } Small Lake Courthouse Towers - Images & Detail